Thursday, September 10, 2009

30 year old Rock Star

Zzzzzz.... Head bob. Heavy eyelids. Fuzzy memory.

This has been my life for the last 3 days.

Who would have thunk it? I am so freaking old.
Less than 4 whole days in Las Vegas, Nevada and I am more worn out than the same running shoes I have been wearing since 2 1/2 marathons ago.... I mean exhausted.
And it really pisses me off.

I mean, I went to college in Austin, Texas... Longhorn country.. (Hook 'em btw).
And I graduated in my 4 years flat. Busted my bootie... all while getting out to the bars so often at night that we had reserved seats at most of them.
I was completely used to going off 5 hours of sleep and then still being awesome enough to pull out B's in Biology and give speeches about who-knows-what in Communications class. I was a true rock star baby... Couldn't be touched.

Not anymore.

We got to Sin City around 4pm on Friday after a loooong 8 hour day getting there (thanks expedia) and immediately threw our bags in the room and went down to start the gambling/drinking/partying extravaganza.

Keep in mind that we were up around 5:30 AM that day because of the miserable flight schedule and we're 2 hours ahead so we really didn't get to Vegas until 6pm Texas time.
Anyway, we sat at Casino Royale screaming victory over the roulette tables and squeezing through poker machines until 4am...
That is 6am San Antonio time.
So, yes ladies and gentleman, I stayed up over 24 hours. And I can honestly say I don't remember the last time I have done that.
ROCK STAR! I still have it in me.
I am NOT old.

Off to bed we go (ONLY after a really awesome McDonald's decision on our way back to the hotel)...

And of course, we cannot sleep to save our lives.

So we are up at 9am the next morning. Less than 5 hours of alcohol soaked, too hot in our hotel room, missing our kids already sleep. Boo!

Saturday is the wedding day (the reason we were all there to begin with)... so in order to be able to watch the bride get her hair done, spend time with the brother in law that came for his birthday and attempt to make myself look presentable - I need another cocktail.
The hair of the dog, right???

Bad idea... by the time I reached dinner after the wedding (which was gorgeous) - I was so exhausted I couldn't even eat.
Like literally, I didn't have the energy to walk my body back over to the buffet line to get anything.
"Suck it up sister" you are saying, right?

So, then there is the Party Bus with the couple of honor and all the guests.
Starting at 10:30pm.
That's right.
Starting at 10:30pm.. that's later than I usually go to bed. And I was already up the night before for 24 hours and had less than 5 hours of sleep.
But I gotta pull this one out.
And I do.

By the time we get on this decked out, disco balled, rap music thumping bus, I got my second wind.
Mind you, It could have been from the 2 Redbull and Jager shots we all had to take (literally my arms were tied), but regardless, I am up.
Dancing on the pole (don't ask) and running around every casino floor trying to see what kind of trouble I can get into.

It was a lot of fun. Vegas-style fun. :-)

Wait... here comes 4am. Again....

My much-smarter-and-more-realistic-husband tells me when the bus pulls up to the hotel that "No dear, we are not going back out to another casino. We are going to bed".
I fight a little and then concede and walk back up to the room.
We get a little more sleep before waking up and basically making the intelligent decision to start drowning myself in alcohol again.

As much as I could anyway. I'm not proud of this next part.

A good friend showed up ready to paint the town red (ready to GO!)
and I was so dehydrated and exhausted that when I tried to slug one back when she got there, I literally got ill and had to go back to my room.
What kind of rockstar am I now?

What the hell was I thinking???
Passed out with a cold washrag on my forehead by 10:30pm.

Finally Monday came and we were so tired of the drinking and the lights and the clinking strip, we got to the airport 5 hours early.


We got home at 1am after 2 long flights.
Again... boo.

But I got to see my kids and we stayed home all day Tuesday and played around and cuddled and slept.
And I don't want to leave home for a LONG LONG time.
I am still exhausted as I write this. I think I might have the longest hangover ever known to man.

I still haven't had a cocktail since Sunday afternoon. That's when you know it was bad.

3 comments: said...

OMG! You are too funny. I usually come home hungover from surfing vacations no alcohol needed. It's my drug of choice. Though I don't stay up 24 hours, but apparently 4 hours of sleeep isn't enough 7 days in a row. Awesome post!!!!

Danni Springfield said...

Ha ha ha. You know how you train for a marathon? Maybe you need to train for your next Vegas trip! ;)

Jeni- Mommy Bloopers said...

Your vacation was fun-filled and even though you came home exhausted you made some memories...well, maybe some fuzzy memories and quick flashes of this and that...shit, maybe it was just a drunkin' booze fest of stripper poles and the cha-ching of the casinos that you don't remember much of, but at least you had fun!!